The Humane Society of the United States
Newsroom Licensing Agreement
1. GRANT OF RIGHTS.
The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) grants to you a limited, revocable, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, non-exclusive, and worldwide license to display, use, reproduce, and publish, for one-time use, in whole or in part, via any medium, and by whatever means, the Content (photographs, illustrations, animations, video, and other visual assets available for media download on The HSUS website) for noncommercial, editorial purposes. All other rights in and to the Content, including, without limitation, all copyright and other intellectual property rights relating to the Content, are retained by HSUS. This Agreement is effective until terminated, which will occur after the Content has been used one time. Upon termination, you must immediately cease using the Content for any purpose; destroy or delete all copies and archives of the Content or accompanying materials; and, if requested, confirm to HSUS in writing that you have complied with these requirements. This Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted under the laws of the United States and the District of Columbia, without regard to said District’s conflicts of laws doctrines.
You may not:
- Use or display the Content for any commercial purpose, including, without limitation, any good or services intended for resale or distribution, such as greeting cards, calendars, apparel, or other items for resale, license, or other distribution for profit;
- Use any of the Content as part of a trade-mark, design-mark, trade-name, business name, service mark, or logo;
- Incorporate the Content in any product that results in a re-distribution or re-use of the Content (such as electronic greeting card web sites, web templates and the like) or is otherwise made available in a manner such that a person can extract or access or reproduce the Content as an electronic file;
- Use the Content in a fashion that is considered by HSUS as obscene, infringing, invasive, abusive, defamatory, or libelous in nature, or that would be reasonably likely to bring HSUS into disrepute;
- Remove or modify any notice of copyright, trademark or other proprietary right , or any other copyright management information or metadata, from any place where it is on or embedded in the Content;
- Use the Content for editorial purposes without including the proper credits. Credit information will be displayed on the website under the image thumbnail, and it will be embedded in the metadata when the image is downloaded;
- If the Content is reproduced on a social media platform or other third party website, (i) the rights granted herein shall automatically be revoked in the event that the platform website seeks to exploit purported rights to the Content contrary to the terms of this Agreement, and (ii) in such event, upon HSUS’ request, you shall remove any Content from such platform or website.
- You agree to indemnify, defend and hold HSUS, its affiliates, and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents harmless from and against any and all claims, liability, losses, damages, costs and expenses (including reasonable legal fees on a solicitor and client basis) incurred as a result of or in connection with any breach or alleged breach by you or anyone acting on your behalf of any of the terms of this Agreement.